Sunday, September 9, 2012

Today is my Birthday

Maybe some of you reading know that today is my birthday and some may not.  It's now officially my birthday in both the US and India.  It's kind of awkward figuring out your real birthday when you were born in the US and are celebrating in India.  We had the same problem with Leela's birthday.  Is it really my birthday?  It's still September 8 back home.  Now it's September 9 in both places.  Should I stay up all night and celebrate my true US birthdate? I don't think so I'm too tired.  It was a good day.  We went out to eat lunch and then we came home and played Uno which we also played before lunch (PS I was on a really awesome winning streak) and had cake.  So many kids came over to play with Leela, and when they heard about the cake they decided to stay.  I told Naveen tonight that I'm not sure I pictured being 27 and having so many kids in the pictures at my celebration.  It almost looks like a party for Leela.  They are mostly the ones who do speak English so I guess they are kind of my friends since they talk to me the most.  Today got me thinking about another birthday though.

I'm sure we all have special birthday memories.  A lot of mine I remember going on picnics to the duck park with hoagie sandwiches, both which I loved, going to the skating rink, sleepovers with friends.  There were special gifts like the easel my parents bought me in 1st grade because I was so sure I was going to be an artist, and the time I really wanted to have a CD but ended up talking my mom into buying me a guinea pig instead.  The one birthday that keeps coming to mind today was 5 years ago though.  It was in this same house I'm in right now, actually getting ready to go home.  It had been an overwhelming trip for me with all the culture shocks and also everything that comes with coming to India engaged to a once Hindu boy now Christian who was supposed to get an arranged marriage just over a year before.  Naveen's parents were nice and everything, it was just a lot of pressure.  I was ready to go home and feeling emotional.  Before catching the train to the airport a cake was brought in.  Doing what we normally do I asked my mom to cut it and pass it out.  I didn't know the Indian tradition was to have your guests feed you a bite.  They didn't know our way and we didn't know theirs and there was some great misunderstanding and hurt feelings, especially mine. I wasn't so sure I wanted to come back ever again. The cool thing about that birthday happening is that I can sit right here in the same spot I was 5 years ago I see the amazing growth and learning.  Of course this time I got the cake thing right, but there are so many more things.  I know all marriage is hard, but intercultural marriage especially between such different cultures adds more complexities to it.  It's so cool to look and see how my husband has turned into an amazing godly man.  Just new to the faith back then he still had a lot to learn.  He is always so open to accepting his flaws as flaws and overcoming them that he inspires me all the time to try to be more like that (I'm far from being as good as him)  He's been so caring and understanding on this trip.  He keeps God at the center and his priorities in order. I love to see him take care of me and Leela on this trip.  I've grown too.  I've also become more understanding to the pressures he faces with taking an American who still doesn't know everything about the culture or the language to India.  I also feel a lot more comfortable with the Indian culture and know a lot more about it and what's expected of me.  I've learned to stretch myself and come out of my comfort zone more than I ever knew I could before.  That's thanks to Naveen as well.  I look back at this day 5 years ago and think about how awesome God is.  He knew Naveen and I needed each other to better each other.  Sure there's been a lot of pressure and heat over the years, but I heard that's how gold is refined.  Although I'm not to a golden birthday nor are we to a golden anniversary I can tell we just keep getting shinier and prettier.  I know God's not done with me yet, I'm thankful that he isn't. Life is beautiful, and I'm thankful for another year completed and pray I never stop growing and learning. I can't wait to see what God does with the next 5 years.

2 comments:

  1. Wow God is so good. I love to here your marriage story because it just points all the glory to Jesus. Happy birthday autumn! God has blessed you with an amazing adventurous unique life. Keep living it to the fullest for God. :)

    ReplyDelete