Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Making Dinner for the In-laws

It made me a little nervous.  Naveen had talked up my curries so much to my in-laws. They wanted to try it for themselves.  I had had a little confidence booster the day before.  I made everyone oatmeal and burned it  :P The stove is almost like a little propane camp stove here, and things get kind of hot fast.  Naveen chose two of his favorites.  Chicken Curry and Papu Charru (sp?).  We bought the supplies and I went to work in a kitchen I was unfamiliar with and a stove and pans I was equally unfamiliar with.  Leading up to it there had been so much anticipation that I thought I'd lower their expectations a bit.  This was after all taking my mother-in-law's own recipes and making them for her.  I told my in-laws the English saying "Never trust a skinny chef"  they just laughed because my skinniness is something very often commented on in India especially in this house.  

I finished the food and everyone dug in.  They seemed to like it.  I didn't know if they were just being nice or they really did like it.  Then the next day when Naveen went to look for leftover Papu Charru for lunch his parents told him they had ate it all for breakfast. I guess I passed the test :)

1 comment: