Tuesday, August 28, 2012

This must be what a movie star feels like

So I was thinking yesterday, this must be what a movie star feels like.  We went to visit a family friend's child's school here in India.  It was pretty big.  Three tall buildings.  We walked up a few flights of stairs and over to the classroom where Pandu's class was.  All eyes of the children were watching me through the slatted windows of the two classrooms we passed.  When they were released from class I was practically mobbed.  One kid asked me after an awestruck hi-ii where I was from.  When I told him U.S. a number of kids excitedly repeated the same thing I said.  As we walked back down the stairs to our scooter I made sure Naveen was close by not to get lost forever in this group of kids surrounding me.  Later we sat down at a bakery/sweet shop where our friends made sure I was thoroughly stuffed with food and Pandu told us how all the kids asked him where we were from and how he knew us as soon as they saw us from his classroom with his mom.  I thought this must be what a movie star feels like, but they probably enjoy it a little more.  I'm not one to call attention to myself, but here in India my height and white skin do that pretty easily.  It makes me laugh to think how unique I seem to them, but where I am from there are so many more who look very similar to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment