Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Trouble with Drawstring Pants

While in India I wear the same clothes as the locals.  I already stick out in all my tall whiteness, I don't need to draw more attention with my western style clothes.  The other day when I was putting on my pants I thought these guys have it figured out.  The pants are huge at the waist, but you draw it all in with a string at the waist to fit you perfectly.  You never have to worry about gaining or losing a few pounds and pants being too tight or too lose.  Maternity clothes? Forget those, I'm sure these pants would still fit fine.  It's brilliant brilliant brilliant!

The problem came when I needed to use the ladies room, and quite badly.  I had been busy with Leela, and needed to wait until the last possible minute.  I went to untie my pant drawstring and there was a knot in it.  Not just any ordinary knot, but the most stubborn knot there could be.  I pulled and pried using my fingers to the best of their ability, with a deep sense of urgency.  Finally I gave up calling Naveen to come to my rescue (it was almost like a fairytale except not).  He couldn't get it undone either.  I was getting desperate, so eventually I made myself as skinny as I could and escaped my confining pants.  Don't worry the story has a happy ending.  I was eventually able to get the knot out.  I'm just a little scared of drawstrings now and will be sure to give myself ample time when untying them.


3 comments:

  1. Ha ha.. I just imagined the whole family taking a turn to try to untie your pants. When you gotta go you gotta go. Havin fun with the squatie? Do they sell TP there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I didn't ask the inlaws to help. They have a western style toilet at the house, but I did use a squatie on the train. I was thinking about blogging about it. We brought our own TP they do sell it here but you have to look for it and pay more than you would in the US.

      Delete