Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Heart Breaks

Naveen and I committed before we left to India that every morning we would go on a prayer walk while we were here.  We know that there are certain weak areas we're more vulnerable to while we're here that the devil likes to attack.  It's been refreshing to get out in the coolness of the morning and share our hearts with God.  It's also been a little heart breaking to me.

This isn't my first time in India.  I've seen the beggars, children, and poverty on the street.  I think what's different about this time is being right in the street walking with it so up close and personal rather than sitting in a car where you can kind of hide your eyes from it when the hurtful feelings come.  The other day as we were walking this lady with a baby wrapped up close to her was pleading for money for milk for her baby.  Her saddened and desperate face was a stark contrast to her baby who was grabbing at her face and laughing.  My heart broke right there.  How do I get to be so blessed?  I have a baby not much older than hers.  My baby has never known hunger.  My baby has more than she needs.  I never had to look at my baby in helpless desperation as she cries from the pangs of hunger.  I gave her some money, she kissed it in deep gratitude and I turned quickly so I wouldn't start crying in the middle of the busy street.

I've been praying fervently for the broken people here.  I know Jesus moving here is the only thing that can overcome the brokenness and darkness here.  I encourage you to pray also with me as we stay here in India.  Pray for the people of India both rich and poor needing food, money, shelter, but also something so much more fulfilling, a relationship with Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm so glad you're blogging about your trip. I appreciate this little window into your life and your experiences and your truly beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete