Friday, August 31, 2012

Khammam and Mayberry

So I like to listen to country music sometimes.  I like the way a lot of the songs tell a story, and at times secretly wish I was a cowgirl (can an Indian be a cowboy?  I've asked Naveen this before because I think this would be a fun life for us)  There's one song Mayberry by Rascal Flatts.  Part of the lyrics goes like this "I miss Mayberry sitting on the porch drinking ice cold cherry coke, where everything is black and white.  Strumming on your six string, people walk by and they call you by your first name, watching the clouds go by."  I think it paints a picture of a close community that feels welcoming and homely.

Yesterday we went to a friend's house for dinner.  They wanted to show me what their house looked like, and while there Naveen wanted us to visit some other friends' homes.  In this little neighborhood my husband spent most of his growing years, and there were still people living there from when he lived there.  We went to the different houses and visited with people from my husband's past.  Neighbors came over to each other's houses and talked to each other and played with kids like they were their own.  The kids knew them well and were excited to see them.  As we were all sitting around eating a snack and drinking tea as all the adults were deep in conversation catching up with each other, and the kids were playing, that song started going through my head.  I think I might have even started humming it a little bit.  (People might be starting to think I'm a little bit crazy around here).  I didn't grow up in the time of Mayberry really, but sitting there seeing all this community with these people that I could just tell knew each other so well, and visited with each other daily I thought maybe this is kind of what Mayberry feels like.  Then I thought about all the evenings Naveen and I ask each other what we should do and end up just watching a movie because we can't figure anything else out.  These people don't ever have that problem.  They always have someone to do something with and talk to.  It's a neat thing these people have.  Almost like Mayberry except they put a dot of red powder between your eyebrows before you go home :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm convicted. I complain that I wish people would slow down and talk to each other. I complain that only two of our neighbors welcomed us to the neighborhood. However I look at myself and I just as guilty not trying to reach out and step out of my comfort zone even at church or the grocery store. I have to remember that Jesus is about relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right it is convicting. It's a lot easier to live it out when it's a way of life though. I don't think there is any way to live in India without having people always coming and visiting and wanting you to drop by. And like you were saying about Brittany if you are outgoing people can become annoyed that you're interrupting their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we'll never feel bad about dropping in on you then. Drew always wants to stop by to say 'hi' to people, and I always say we should call first. But something so cool has happened.....we didn't really have any neighbors come over when we first moved in either, but now there is a family behind us who stops by all the time. They take walks and stop to visit us and sometimes we just load up the stroller and go with them. They even took me to meet another neighbor who has coloring books for the kids. It's very inspiring.....but also very stretching for me to try it myself. :) Love this blog, Autumn!

    ReplyDelete